Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Book Review: Norse Mythology




I've always like mythology. I prefer the Greek tales to the Norse ones, but the Literary Disco podcast discussed this book on a recent episode, and I like to read what they do so I can follow along. I don't know why I prefer the Greek myths to the Norse. Maybe they're a little more Western in nature, with more linear plots and characters I understand better. Norse mythology has always seemed random and confusing to me.

With that being said, Neil Gaiman has done a great job with this collection of Norse myths. He writes in a unique style--it's contemporary, yet classic. Somehow it works. The myths are placed in almost chronological order (well, as best you can place myths in order), helping you understand the context of each tale a little better.

I haven't read anything else by Gaiman, but he seems to have a playful, witty voice which pairs well with these stories. The Norse myths don't take themselves too seriously, and Gaiman went with that, keeping the writing light while staying true to the original texts. This book is a must-read for fans of Gaiman or mythology.

No comments:

Post a Comment